Sunday, April 30, 2006

Hunger pangs

The old volunteers say that once summer comes, you tend to lose your appetite, eat less, and therefore make yourself more prone to illness. Eff it… I am ALWAYS hungry. Not even a high-carb breakfast or lunch could put peace in my digestive system. I am ALWAYS famished. My thoughts are pre-occupied with food particularly those I miss from home. I see myself in the mirror and my eyes reflect meat dishes, chocolate cakes, chips, Yakult, buko juice, halo-halo, lechon, Black Meiji, wasabe, sushi, Bazooka bubble gum. I dream of these with a glazed look in my eyes and feverish longing while at work.

More recently I just found myself munching on cheese on my bed, close to midnight. Normally, any hunger pang felt in the ungodly hours would easily lose over the desire for sleep. These days, sleep has abandoned me, thanks to the heat. And a humble bow to the 40+ degree weather which has successfully managed to suck out all of my energy and render me hungry every hour.

As of last night, The Blue Flat’s kitchen is richer by about eight cans of corned beef, sent from home through my mother’s friend who was recently in Delhi. Gluttony. I was up early this morning (quite unusual, it being a Sunday) because I was excited to open one of the cans. I’m guessing I may open another one tonight.